Monday, January 2, 2012

The Tempest - I






[The Tempest is the name of a play written by Shakespeare. You can read
the stories of many Shakespearean plays in the Tales from Shakespeare by
Charles and Mary Lamb.]

I
On a lonely island in the sea there once
lived three people, a wise old man named
Prospero, his beautiful young daughter Miranda,
and their servant Caliban. Father and daughter
had come to the island twelve years before,
when Miranda was a mere baby. She could
hardly remember having seen any human face
except her father’s. As far Caliban, he hardly
looked more like a fish than a man.
Prospero had another servant, a spirit
named Ariel, whom he commanded by means
of his magic. Before Prospero’s arrival there
lived on the island a witch named Sycorax; the ugly Caliban was her son. She
imprisoned Ariel in the heart of a pine tree and she died without releasing him.
Prospero, on his arrival on the island found him and released him. Ariel became
Prospero’s faithful servant and carried out his master’s wishes. At Prospero’s
faithful command he would raise storms in the sea or make thunder in the air.

II
One day there arose a terrible storm in the sea. As Miranda looked out, she
saw a fine ship struggling in the midst of the storm.
“O father,” she said, “if you have, by your own power, raised this tempest;
please put an end to it. What a fine ship is there, struggling in the cruel waves!
The cries of the drowning sailors seem to knock against my very heart.”
“Do not be afraid,” replied Prospero. “Not a single person shall perish. As
for the storm, I have raised it for your sake. I have done it for you, my beloved
daughter, You do not know who you are.”


Now for the first time Prospero told Miranda the strange story of her life.
“Twelve years ago,” he said, “I was Duke of Milan. Knowledge was my chief
aim in life; wealth and worldly possessions hardly mattered to me. Leaving the
management of state affairs to my brother Antonio, whose loyalty I never doubted,
I devoted all my time to secret studies. Meanwhile he grew greedy for power
and possessions; he bribed my ministers and plotted against me with my enemy,
the king of Naples. One dark night their soldiers took me out of my palace, with
you crying in my arms. They did not dare to kill us openly; so they put us into an
old damaged ship that could hardly float, and left us to perish at sea. But there
was a kind old lord named Gonzalo; he was loyal to me at heart and was not in
favour of Antonio’s plot. He secretly stored the ship with fresh water, food and
clothes, and my precious books, which I valued more than my dukedom. Driven
by favourable winds, we floated to this lonely island.”
“But what is your reason for raising this tempest?” asked Miranda, who
was still thinking of the drowning sailors.
“Fortune has now begun to favour me,” replied Prospero. “The tempest
has, in a strange manner, brought all my enemies to this island; they are in the
ship you see. For the present it is enough for you to know that much.” Then
Prospero touched Miranda gently with his magic wand, and she fell asleep.

III
“Come, my Ariel,” said Prospero, waving his magic wand. Ariel appeared.
“Here I am, master,” he said. “I am ready to go wherever you ask me to go,
and to do whatever you want.”
“Have you performed the task I gave you?”
“Yes; master. I have done every thing just as you commanded me. I attacked
the ship with storm, fire and thunder, till the sailors gave up in despair. Not a
single person in the ship kept head. The king’s son, Ferdinand, leapt into the sea.
Now he is sitting sadly in a corner of the island, thinking that his father is drowned.
Meanwhile, in another part of the island, the King, your brother, and the others
are looking for Ferdinand, who they fear is drowned. As for the ship, I have
brought it safely to the harbour.”
“You have performed your task perfectly,” said Prospero. “Now we have
some very important work on our hands. The time between now and evening is
precious for both of us.”
“More work? Sir, let me remind you of the promise you gave me, namely, to
give me my freedom.”
“What?” said Prospero angrily? “How dare you ask freedom before the
time out? Where would you be but for me? Have I to remind you how I released
you from the pine tree?”
“I am sorry, master. I will obey you willingly,” said Ariel.
“Good,” said Prospero. “After two days I will set you free; meanwhile
carry out your tasks with good heart.” Then Prospero told him what he should
do. And away went Ariel happily, to the place where Ferdinand sat weeping
over his father’s death.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...