Monday, January 9, 2012

Gulliver in Lilliput – I


Gulliver, the doctor of an English ship wrecked in the Atlantic and is
thrown up on the island of Lilliput, inhabited by a race of little people not
more than six inches tall. He is tied up and made prisoner by Lilliputians, but
later they come to trust him, and set him free. Our story takes place soon after
this.
In a later adventure Gulliver visits a land of giants twelve times as tall as
himself. You can read the complete story in Gulliver’s travels, by Jonathan
Swift.

I
One morning, two weeks after I had obtained my freedom, Reldresal, the
Chief Secretary for Private affairs, came to my house, attended only by one
servant. He wanted to have a private conversation with me, because he had been
sent by the Emperor to discuss with me some important problems of state. I
received him with honour and offered to lie down so that he could conveniently


speak to me; but he preferred to let me hold him in my hand during our
conversation.
He congratulated me on my freedom, and added that I had obtained it so
soon partly on account of the many difficult internal and external problems that
faced the state just then. It was thought that if I was released, I might be of help to
the state in solving them.
Reldresal told me that Lilliputians were divided into two parties called
High Heels and Low Heels, according to the high or low heels of their shoes,
which distinguished one party from the other. They opposed each other bitterly,
and hated each other so much that the members of one party would hardly eat,
drink or talk with those of the other. Although the High Heels were more numerous
than Low Heels, His Majesty the Emperor was in favour of Low Heels, and
himself wore low heels only. So the Government was in their hands now. Reldresal
himself was a member of the Low Heels party. They feared, however, that the
young Prince was sympathetic to the High Heels; at least, it was clear that one of
his heels was higher than the other; and that gave him a limp in his walking.

II
To add to their problem, they now had to face a great external danger. The
country was threatened with an invasion from Blefuscu, which, Reldresal told
me, was the other great empire of the Universe. As for my report that there were
other regions in the world inhabited by men like myself, he hardly believed it;
according to their scientists and historians Lilliput and Blefuscu were the two
great regions of the Universe. These mighty powers had been engaged in a bloody
war for thirty-six ‘moons’*. The war began about a question of religious principle,
namely, whether one should break an egg at the bigger end or at the smaller end.
The anvcient practice of course was to break it at the bigger end. But the present
Emperor’s grandfather, when he was a boy, happened to cut one of his fingers
when breaking an egg at the bigger end. So the Emperor, his father, published an
order prohibiting the practice of breaking eggs at the bigger end. There was
bigger opposition to the new law, and there were frequent rebellions on the
account of it; one emperor lost his life, and another his crown, in these rebellions.
Many hundred books were published about the question, but people were
prohibited from reading the books of the Big Indians. At least 11,000 people
suffered death at various times because they preferred death to dishonour. Many
rebels escaped to Blefuscu; the Emperor of Blefuscu gave them his sympathy
and encouragement, thus interfering in the internal affairs of Lilliput. He frequently
charged the Lilliputian Emperor with causing a division in religion by encouraging
people to disobey a basic teaching of their ancient religion, which is given in the
54th chapter of their holy book: ‘All believers shall break eggs at the convenient
end’ But Reldresal thought that his charge was baseless, for, which was the
convenient end was a question for each man to decide according to his conscience.
The two empires were engaged in a war over this question and there were frequent
battles. Just now the men of Blefuscu were intending to invade Lilliput. The
scouts sent out by Lilliput had reported that a fleet was getting ready to start. In
this situation the Emperor wanted my help in defending Lilliput against the
invaders.
I avoided entering into a discussion of their party questions or religious
principles with Reldresal. I told him that as a foreigner I had no right to interfere
in them. But I asked him to tell the Emperor that I was his loyal soldier, ready to
defend his honour and the honour of the country in case there was an invasion.
*Lilliputians used a smaller time scale than we do. “A moon” is 28 days or
about 12th part of a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...