Monday, January 2, 2012

The Tempest – II



I
Remaining invisible, Ariel sang a beautiful song and led Ferdinand to the
place where Prospero and Miranda were.
“What is that father?” asked Miranda in wonder, when she saw Ferdinand at
a distance. “Is it a spirit? It has a noble and beautiful appearance.” Miranda, as
you know, had not known what a young man looked like and, moreover, Ferdinand
was a handsome young man. When Ferdinand saw Miranda, he thought that she
was the goddess of this island of wonders, where he had just heard Ariel’s
strange-sounding song. He fell on his knees and began to speak to her as to a
goddess. You can imagine his surprise when he heard her say sweetly in his own
language, “Sir, I am no goddess, but a simple girl.”
Prospero was very happy to find that the two young people had fallen in
love with each other at first sight. But in order to test Ferdinand’s love, Prospero
pretended to think that the young man was a spy.
“Come along young man,” he said roughly. “You are spy who has come to
steal this island from me. You are now my prisoner.” Ferdinand tried to resist,
and drew his sword; but waving his wand, Prospero fixed him to the spot by the
power of his magic. Miranda hung upon her father and pleaded for Ferdinand.
“Please do not treat him like that, father. He cannot be a spy. He does not
look like one.”
“Silence,” said Prospero. “Are you trying to teach me? Perhaps you think he
is the handsomest person on earth, because you have seen only Caliban and me.
Compared to Caliban he seems handsome enough, but compared to other men he
is a Caliban!”
“Then my desires are most humble,” replied Miranda. “I do not wish to see
a handsome person.”
“Come along, sir,” Prospero said to Ferdinand, leading him away. Ferdinand
could hardly resist the power of Prospero’s magic, and he had to follow. He said
to himself, “My misfortunes and this unkind treatment would all be nothing to me
if, from my prison window, I could see this girl once a day.”

II
Prospero set him the task of piling up heavy logs. Miranda stole out of her
room to see him at work, and her presence made his labour seem light to him.
“Alas, sir,” she said, “please sit down and rest a little. I will carry your logs
in the mean time. I quite like it. Let me carry the logs; my father is at his studies
safely out of our way for three hours.” In fact Prospero was all the time standing
at a distance, watching his daughter with amusement and sympathy.
“No, my precious creature,” replied Ferdinand, “I can not let you do that!”
Of course this love-talk did not help the work of feeling manage to tell
Miranda how he loved her better than any one else he had ever seen. As for
Miranda, she cannot imagine a person she could loved more.
Prospero decided not to try Ferdinand further, and soon released him for his
hard task.
“The trials you have under gone where it test of your love,” said Prospero,
to the great joy and surprise of Ferdinand. “As your reward I give you my daugh-
ter, who is my most precious possession. My blessings are with you both.”
In the meantime the king of Naples, Antonio, Gonzalo (who was the king’s
party) and others were wandering about on the island. Tired out and hungry, they
sat down to rest. Ariel put inviting food before them, but when they tried to eat it,
it disappeared suddenly. Ariel appeared to them with thunder and lightning. While
they stood amazed at the sight he said to Antonio and the king, “You are two men
guilty before God and man. Think of your evil deeds. Remember how cruely you
treated Prospero and his innocent child. It was a terrible crime. All that you have
undergone is God’s punishment for your crimes. If you do not sincerely repent of
your evil deeds, there is worse in store for you.” Then Ariel disappeared in
thunder and lightning leaving them almost mad with fear and their sense of guilt.

III
“Now that they have sincerely repented, we need not punish them further,”
said Prospero to Ariel. Ariel led them to the place where Prospero was. When
they saw Prospero, they were so amazed that at first they could hardly believe
their eyes. The King agreed to restore the dukedom to Prospero, and Prospero,
on his part, forgave the King all that was past. The King told Prospero how they
had been ship-wrecked and how he had lost Ferdinand, his dear son, in the
wreck.
“I am very sorry to hear of your loss,” said Prospero. “I lost my daughter too
in the tempest.” In a sense Prospero was speaking the truth because he had lost
his daughter to Ferdinand.
“How I wish they were both alive,” said the King, “to be king and queen of
Naples!”
Prospero took the party into his cave and showed them Ferdinand and
Miranda, who were happily playing chess.
“O wonder! Said Miranda when she saw so many people together. “How
many wonderful people there are here! How beautiful mankind is!” Gonzalo, the
kind old man, who had helped Prospero, wept for joy to see this scene of recon-
ciliation.
Prospero broke his magic wand and buried his books of magic because he
had no further use for them. He sat Ariel free as he had promised. Ariel sang:
Where the bee sucks there suck I;
In a cowslip’s bell I lie;
There I couch when owls do cry.
On the bat’s back I do fly
After summer merrily.
Merrily, merrily, shall I live now
Under the blossom that hangs on the bough.
Prospero and party sailed to Naples leaving Caliban in possession of the
island. Ariel helped them with favourable winds; that was his last service to his
master.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...