Monday, January 9, 2012

Gulliver in Lilliput – II




I
The empire of Blefuscu is an island situated to the north-east of Lilliput. It
is separated from Lilliput by a channel about 800 metres wide. I had not seen
Blefuscu, and now I avoided appearing on that side of the coast in case the
enemy should see me. So far they had no news of me.
Our scouts reported that the enemy fleet lay at anchor in the harbour, ready
to start with the first favourable wind. I walked to the north-east coast and hiding
myself behind a small hill, in case the enemy should see me I looked at their
ships through my field glasses. I distinguished at least fifty warships and a great
number of other ships for transporting men and supplies. I formed a plan to
capture the warships. I got the advice of the mast experienced seamen of Lilliput,
who told me that the channel was about five feet deep in most places and no
where more than six. I ordered a great quantity of the strongest cable and bars of
iron. The cable was as thick as pack-thread, and the bars were of the size of
knitting-needles. I twisted the cables together and made fifty strong cards. Then I
made fifty hooks by twisting three bars together at a time, and fastened the hooks
carefully to the cords.

II
While I was engaged in this work, the men of Blefuscu shot at me several
thousands arrows as big as knitting-needles; many of them stuck in my hands and
face and gave me sharp pain. I quickly took out my eye-glasses and put them on
in case the arrows should strike my eyes and went on with my work.
When I had fastened the hooks to the prows of all the warships, I tied their
ends together into a knot. Taking the knotted end in my hand, I pulled; but not a
ship moved, for they were all held fast by their anchors. So I let go the cords
again, and with ease drew after me the entire fleet of the enemy.


When the men of Blefuscu saw this, they shouted in despair; at first they had
not guessed my intention. When I was out of danger I stopped a while to pull out
the arrows that stuck in my face. I rubbed on an ointment that the Lilliputians had
given me for the purpose, and it relieved the pain at once.
The Emperor of Lilliput, attended by all his court, was waiting on the shore
to see the outcome of this great adventure. They saw the entire fleet advance in
the shape of a large half moon but could not distinguish me because I was up to
my neck in water. So they thought that I had been drowned and that the enemy
fleet was advancing for battle. They felt greatly relieved when they saw me. I
held up my hand from the water and cried in a loud voice, “Long live the most
mighty Emperor of Lilliput!” The Emperor received me with honour and made
me Great lord on the spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...